Cooking methods: Boiling, mashing, baking
- PREPARATION TIME: 10 Minutes
- COOKING TIME: 30 Minutes
This is a variation of the traditional Potato Croquettes. Chefs used to make croquettes out of any leftovers they could get their hands on. Using leftovers was one of the biggest priorities in the days before refrigeration.
- 600g ‘Smooth’ variety (Desiree are great, Orla and Melody work too)
- 75g plain flour
- 1 whole egg
- 100ml milk
- 100g flaked or nibble almonds (alternatively you can use 100g grated parmesan cheese)
- 50g breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 180c
- It’s a good idea to wash the potatoes under cold running water to remove any dirt and peel. As you peel the potatoes, place in a pan of cold water to stop them going brown.
- On a chopping board, cut the potatoes into similar size pieces, pour away the water, refill the pan with fresh cold water and place on the hob to boil.
- Meanwhile whisk the egg and milk together and pour it into a shallow tray, put the flour onto a similar, but separate tray finally mix the almonds and breadcrumbs together and scatter them on a third tray (if you are using Parmesan cheese mix this with the breadcrumbs and continue)
- Test the potatoes with a sharp knife and when they are soft, drain them well in a colander, return them to the pan and place back on the heat for thirty seconds to remove any remaining moisture. Remove the pan from the hob and mash these well, until all lumps have gone, set aside to cool.
- When the mash has cooled slightly, use your hands to make small balls, the size of table tennis balls, no bigger.
- Now for the messy part, you need to roll them first in the flour, then the egg and milk mixture and finally into the almonds or parmesan cheese mixture.
- Finally, place on an oven-proof tray and into the oven for twenty minutes or until they take on a delicious, crispy, golden brown colour, these are now ready to enjoy on their own as a light lunch or with a main meal.
Suitable potato varieties
Smooth, such as Desiree
- Potato peeler
- Large saucepan with lid
- Chopping board
- Vegetable knife
- Large bowl
- 3 shallow trays
- Potato masher
- Baking tray
- Oven gloves