Potato and Cheese Scones
Cooking methods: Baking
- PREPARATION TIME: 20 Minutes
- COOKING TIME: 10-15 Minutes
Potato scones are a traditional Scottish recipe using basic ingredients, which are always ready to hand. Potato scones can be served hot or cold and are often reheated by frying.
- 225g self-raising flour plus a little more for dusting
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 50g unsalted butter, softened
- 25g Cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 large baking potatoes, baked, skins removed
- 150ml milk
- Fat or oil to grease baking sheet
- Pre heat the oven to 220°C.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and salt together into a bowl and rub in the butter.
- Add the cheese and then pass the potato through a sieve into the mixture.
- Add the milk, a little at a time, and form into a soft dough.
- Roll out to about 2cm thick and cut out discs with a 5cm cutter.
- Place on a greased baking sheet, dust with the extra flour and bake for 10-15 minutes until risen and golden.
- Remove to a wire cooling tray and serve while still slightly warm
Suitable potato varieties
Fluffy, such as King Edward or Maris Piper
- Rolling pin
- Baking sheet
- Cooling rack
- Large bowl
- Measuring jug
- 5cm round cutter
- Oven gloves