About AHDB Potatoes
Who are we?
AHDB Potatoes is part of the Agricultural and Horticulture Development Board, working on behalf of British Potato growers and purchasers.
We are funded through a statutory levy on 2000 potato growers and potato trade purchasers and we aim to support the British potato industry. Our aim as an organisation is to:
- Increase usage of British Potatoes
- Ensure that the British potato industry remains competitive
What do we do?
Research and development
- We are involved in research and innovation to continually find ways to improve the quality of potato farming and productivity. We explore potato growers' needs around production, plant health, crop protection and crop storage.
- Levy and commercial funds are used for specialist commercial research on potato (and other crop) storage.
Knowledge transfer and communication
- We communicate the results and recommendations from our research and development to everyone involved in the business. We organise events, provide technical information and communicate with growers through e-communications, to suggest practical and beneficial changes.
- We look for opportunities to enhance business skills through benchmarking groups.
- And ensure levy payers stay abreast of key issues through regular bulletins, newsletters, press work and direct communication.
Seed and export
- Our time is divided between exploring and opening new export markets, and maintaining domestic markets.
Marketing and corporate affairs
- Consumer targeted promotional campaigns for all potatoes and potato products throughout the year.
- Working with key influencers to improve their understanding of the crop’s nutrition and sustainability credentials.
- Educating primary and secondary school children about the benefits of potatoes.
- Managing image and issues with stakeholders and the media.
- Providing resources to inform business decisions; weekly prices, areas and stocks, industry statistics. Consumer Insight and identification of market opportunities.
Find out more
If you would like to find out more about AHDB Potatoes, please visit www.potatoes.ahdb.org.uk
If you would like to find out more about our Primary schools ‘Grow Your Own Potatoes’ project, please visit www.growyourownpotatoes.org.uk
If you would like to find out more about our ‘Prep, Cook, Serve Potatoes project for colleges, please visit www.prepcookservepotatoes.org.uk
For more potato recipe ideas visit www.lovepotatoes.org.uk